Sunday, May 8, 2016

Villahermosa

This idea that we fear the unknown and take comfort in familiarity is so apparent to me today. As we start our second day on the road in Mexico, it’s easy to feel the difference in tension between this trip and our first ride down. Having only experienced kindness from Mexican authorities and residents, we feel more at ease. I think it helps also that we feel more familiar with the Spanish language. Lastly, and I am saddened to say this, the ration of apparent violent crime in the US has made it clear that no one place is safer than another. Yes. We still drive with caution, check our gauges, and keep well aware of our environment. But it is no more or less than as we do in Belize, or the US.

Now, the stressor is a wild child in the passenger seat. We are using this travel opportunity to help with weaning. Tetra doesn’t think it’s such a good idea though. After being very very good for about the first hour and half, she started to demand “take off seat belt” and “I want mommy.” Followed by, “I’m not a big girl. I’m a BABY!” Matt is surprisingly cool throughout this fit, and is gently trying to comfort her in different ways. He keeps brushing me off when I try to help. So, I will remain invisible here in the back. Poor thing. My heart cries for her, and I want to sweep her up into my lap. But, it’s not wise at this point. She must learn to roll with the punches and that we all must compromise at some time.

Ah… finally. It was Judas Priest that calmed her and put her in a deep slumber.

Many miles later, we arrived at Recreativo El Gordo y San Pancho Park. It was about 3:00pm, and the water park was still open. We had so much fun there with TJ! She loved the water slide, and just swimming around in all the different places. She’s been practicing putting her head under water, and she did some of that today too. Matt was able to drag us away from the water with some ice cream. Then he took a taxi to Home Depot to get a hose. He came back with a hose, a beer, and some tacos. Yum! TJ and I were fine without him. It gave us time to clean up the RV a bit and eat some spaghetti.


 

After dinner, Tetra and I decided to take a walk. Though the park was technically closed, we were permitted to wander around there. I couldn’t believe what we found! One surprise after another! Tire swings! A submarine! A kids play pool with slides and things! OH, and two super-duper giant slides! 





Oh, how I regret that we did not find these things earlier–especially the kids pool. Perhaps there will be another chance, sometime in her life, to experience a kids play pool, and for me to go on the big slide.

So tomorrow, we’re off to Puebla. Today we encountered 2 tolls and 2 check points. Although, the 2nd checkpoint was more of a border crossing. It was between Chiapas and Tabasco, and seriously was all concrete and arrows and signs and lanes and people wearing logo shirts. One of the people had a poor sense of estimation, and made us reverse and go all around some dumb maze to go through the big truck lanes…. Because our RV is soooo big. Ei. I expect it will be another day of adventure and discovery tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment